Traveling in your extension term

Congratulations! You are still here in the US for another 6, 9 or 12 months. Whatever the length of your extension is you are probably planing to travel and explore the U.S. a bit more. And, perhaps you are wondering if you can go home to visit your family and friends because you’re missing them a little.

Traveling within the U.S. in your extension term is not a problem. You only need to imagine your trip, get started on planning, buy your ticket, maybe make reservations, pack your passport (or DL)  and off you go. Also, traveling to Mexico, Canada and the adjacent islands is not a problem either.

Traveling outside of the U.S. though is a different story and it is not really recommended as there are some restrictions for J1 visa holders. But if you want to go and visit your family, please make sure to renew your J1 visa while you are in your home country. Should your host family plan to take you on a trip outside of the U.S., you will have to go back home first and renew your J1 visa. And before you leave, obtain a new DS-2019 form that reflects your extension program dates (only if you haven’t received your new form yet, maybe because your term hasn’t started yet.

Click HERE for the “Travel Guide for Extension Term Au Pairs”, this tip sheet contains all the information you need in one place.

Happy travels!






Find more information here

Saturday, 25 May 2019 12:31 AM


Leave a reply